.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, August 02, 2008

 

R.I.P.

Lowell Purcell
1943 - 2008

For several months I've been posting obituary notices for people whom I know. I've never made any comments. The notices are mainly for me, not anyone who may read my occasional thoughts.

I have to make an exception for Lowell. Lowell Purcell was a hell of a guy.

He will be remembered as a radio man and a play-by-play announcer for various sports teams in Fairbanks. He also served on the city council for many years. But that was all before my time. I only knew Lowell personally for the last few years of his life, and during that time he was in pretty poor health.

Despite his poor health, his failing voice and the fact he was in a wheelchair, Lowell was always upbeat and friendly. I believe Lowell was my only regular taxi passenger who gave me a Christmas present. He remembered a conversation we had had many months before and surprised me with a very appropriate gift.

There's so much more to say, but this is getting hard to write with tears welling in my eyes and snot building in my nose.

On behalf of the staff and management of &games, our prayers go out to Lowell, his widow and family.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?