.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

 

Fantastic game weekend AND I scored some Muktuk

Started gaming on Friday evening and kept it up until Sunday evening.

Played a couple games on Friday the highlight of which was A Game of Thrones which is a Diplomacy style game based upon the books by George R. R. Martin. Fun game for a group of wargame-minded individuals.

The six player game was won in six rounds. Well it wasn't really won, but after six rounds there was an impasse on how to resolve the text on two opposing war cards. If the issue had been decided in one way (the iffy interpretation), the game would have been won. The simple fact was that in six rounds no "muster" cards had come up and everyone was pretty disgusted. We decided to go with the iffy interpretation and award the win.

After that I played a two player game Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage late into the night. This was only my second time playing the game, and the first with my own copy since the game was reprinted. It was every bit as good as I remember. The original version was well worth the couple hundred dollars it was going for in E-Bay before it was reprinted. Can't wait to play again.

Saturday was a long day of Twilight Imperium with six players. After playing seriously for the first time in more than a year, I must say the game was not as good as I remember. I have played a couple short games of TI3 with fewer people in order to flesh out the expansion rules. The full game is just too long.

Note that the twelve year old won. There was one player in his mid twenties, and the rest of us were old farts. And that has absolutely nothing to do with my disappointment in the game. Really. Toward the end of the game the kid made a brilliant move while voting on the political card. By doing so he locked me out of a win in what was shaping up to be a tight game. I made a suicide run against him in an attempt to keep him from winning. Didn't work. But let it be known that I was wondering why I liked the game previously, before the brilliant vote on the kid's part. Really.

TI3 is just too long and too fiddly. But it is supposed to be. I think my game tastes are changing, especially in the realm of wargames.

On Sunday afternoon I played my first game of 1960: The Making of a President. 1960 is a two-player, card-driven game based upon the very tight Kennedy/Nixon election. Due to a misunderstanding of the rules, I made a huge mistake going into the debates, which caused me to lose the game. Nevertheless, I liked the game. Any one want to play?

Cab driving score of the year, so far:

While pushing hack on Sunday night I encountered an Eskimo couple who were going around town delivering muktuk to their friends and family. Offered to give me some. Couldn't turn that down, now could I? I love the stuff, but I only rarely get to partake.

Good stuff. Try it if you ever get a chance.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?