.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, October 22, 2005

 

First the Bird Flu, Now This (click here)

Liebrary? I'll wait for Tom Vasel's review.

I haven't posted anything since Monday? It's been a slow week around here. The big game news is that Thornquist had to quit at the GameWire. Apparently, living his dream as a game reporter, conflicted with his desire to earn a decent living.

I spent 3 years in Journalism School before I figured out that I didn't want to be a journalist. I decided that I would rather eat. Turns out that I made the right decision, although I could stand to cut back on my eating. The staff and management at &Games salutes Rick for his efforts at the GameWire in the past couple years. We wish him good luck in his endeavors, and hope he continues to write his blog, and stay active writing about games.

I guess I read the "Game News" section of the GameWire about as much as I read my local newspaper, which is to say, not very often. If someone pointed out an item in the Boardgamegeek forum I would follow the link, otherwise I only occasionally went to the "Game News" portion of the GameWire. I followed the reports from the big game conventions more often, but still not with great regularity. I would usually just skim those stories.

I liken the GameWire to The NewsHour with Jim Lehrer. I like the fact that it's there. It is a quality show. I like the fact that there is a place for serious discussion about the news others just mention in passing. People "in the know" like to refer to Jim Lehrer, likewise with Rick Thornquist. Jim has a microscopic audience, likewise with Rick Thornquist (albeit if every serious boardgamer in the English speaking world read The GameWire it would still be a tiny audience). What Jim has is a good reputation, likewise Thornquist has a good reputation. The main difference is that Jim isn't man enough to report live from GenCon, he would send a flunky to do the dirty work.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?