.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, August 08, 2005

 

Candamir: The First Settlers

I got to play Candamir for the second time this weekend. I'm still not impressed with it. There is so little similarity to Settlers of Catan that it almost feels like false advertising to use the name. Even Entdecker resembled Seafarers of Catan more than Candamir: The First Settlers resembles anything Catan.

I understand that the English version of the game is misprinted. I think that there are supposed to be more resources available on the exploration tiles, but I am not sure. Not knowing exactly what the misprint is we added two house rules: players who explored tiles with one resource and one experience would get an additional resource of the type listed, and tiles that had 2 resources and an experience would get a second experience point added.

With these house rules we whittled the playing time down to 3+ hours. There was still next to no trading between players and it is still too long of a game for the amount of entertainment it provides.

But wait, I've had an epiphany. I am now eager to play the game again with new house rules. I wonder if more trading between players would be fostered if exploration tiles were worth significantly more resources. For example, if two resources of the same type were added to each tile (cattle and goats excepted) resource trading might actually become part of the game, and the game might be shortened by another 30-45 minutes.

I like my idea. I will report back.
________________________________________
My brother sent me this. If WWII was an MMORPG. http://www.4guysfromviewpoint.com/?p=76
I don't even know exactly what MMORPG stands for, but I find it humorous. You might as well.

Coldfoot

Comments:
I watch X-Play so I drug this from the depths of my memory: MMORPG= Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Game. Or is that Multi-player Massive? Either way...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?