.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Monday, March 21, 2005

 

Learning ASL. "Feelings/Critical Thinking"

Seems as though Dame Koldfoot considered my cleavage comments from last week and decided to purchase a low-cut shirt. She wore it well, but she wore it to church. She also chose the most bitterly cold and windy day of the winter to wear it.

Temperatures are in the single digits and teens, which isn't out of line with the average March temperatures, but the wind is just screaming through the valley. We're not used to getting wind in these parts. It's definitely turtle-neck weather.

Played my first game of Advanced Squad Leader ever. Must admit I am kind of intimidated by the sheer volume of the rules, but the first game was relatively painless. It is as I expected, the rules are mostly intuitive once you have a grasp on the game. But I have a long way to go before I have a good grasp on the game. We didn't finish the game because we got a call from some other gamers who invited us over for some games across town. I expect we will try some more ASL tonight on our usual Monday evening game session, although I am hoping to get in a game of YINSH, which I bought the other day, and haven't had a chance to play.

Non-game stuff.

It's true, because I think it's true.

This absurdity has been creeping into our society for some time now. I'm not talking exclusively about politics. Commentators on both the right and left have long accused the other side of not facing the facts and operating only on emotion since there has been politics.

Several decades ago the U.S. school system was hi-jacked by social activists. Today, something like 90+ percent of college and high school grades are an "A" or "B". Ninety plus percent of students are told by their teachers that they are above average or exceptional and have little incentive to improve themselves. Not hurting the student's feelings has become more important than giving meaningful grades.

All too many of these kids and adults believe that they are exceptional. They need to be challenged to think critically and to defend and debate their beliefs. People who challenge their opinions are seen as hostile, or bigots. They are utterly befuddled when you ask "Why do you hate Bush?" or "Why do you hate Hillary?"

Bush is a liar or Hillary is a communist. End of conversation. Of course, they don't see themselves as being befuddled, they see you as a brainwashed fool.

Please note, the preceding is true because I think it's true, AND because it's my blog.

You may not place as much blame on the school system as I do. To be sure, I see the school as one of several reasons. This isn't the forum to thoroughly discuss the issue, it just so happens that the topic is on my mind today.

Good gaming
Coldfoot

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?